Taking Action Toolkit
Read a blog post about the toolkit >> How the Transformation Toolkit can make your conference learning stick
Provide a set of resources for individuals and teams to reflect on learning and plan after-conference actions
How do we turn new learning into an actionable plan?
Educational conferences provide educators with opportunities to engage in rich conversations with like-minded colleagues, learn new strategies, and access resources and materials relevant to their role. Conference participants often experience feelings of excitement, hope, and a renewed sense of energy or passion; however, at the same time, feelings of anxiety, frustration, and a bit of fear creep in when trying to make sense of all that has been introduced to them. What do they do with all this newly acquired information and energy once the conference is over?
This toolkit is designed to support individuals and/or teams in organizing and making sense of everything learned at a conference--from keynote speakers, session presenters, other educators, and vendors--and provides a means for taking actionable steps.
Pre-conference goal setting & planning
1. Start with a clear purpose and outcomes
- Use the Pre-Conference Goal Setting and Outcomes Planning Template to focus your thinking.
2. Select your sessions
- Use your Conference Session Selection Worksheet to select sessions to match your goals.
3. Plan to attend orientation
- Learn how to navigate this year’s annual conference by attending the Conference Overview & First Timers Orientation on Monday, Dec.5 from 7:30-8:00 am CST.
During the conference
3. Capture your thinking during sessions
- Use the Session Note Catcher
4. Collaborate and learn from others
- Join role-alike tables during Monday and Tuesday lunches to meet educators grappling with similar topics.
5. Share ideas
- Schedule a time to meet and plan with your team before you lose those great ideas!
- Invite others to connect and share your thinking.
- Share using a Conference Debrief Protocol (can be done daily or at the end of the conference).
- How do we turn new learning into an actionable plan? (see template page 2)
Post-conference action planning
7. Commit to action from conference learning
8. Measure impact
9. Make a strategic implementation plan
- Comprehensive Strategic Goals into Actionable Initiatives
- For a helpful video on how to use this tool, click here.
Continuing education units
Saint Mary’s College of California offers you the opportunity to earn affordable Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for attending Learning Forward’s Annual Conference.
Ten hours of instruction equals one CEU. The cost for one CEU is $100. For questions regarding CEUs, please contact Laurie Aguirre at KSOE@stmarys-ca.edu.
Download the CEU form for additional information.