The 2021 Annual Conference will shift your perspectives, power up your expertise, transform your practice, and ultimately improve the broader results of your work.
Provide a set of resources for individuals and teams to reflect on learning and plan after-conference actions
How do we turn new learning into an actionable plan?
Educational conferences provide educators with opportunities to engage in rich conversations with like-minded colleagues, learn new strategies, and access resources and materials relevant to their role. Conference participants often experience feelings of excitement, hope, and a renewed sense of energy or passion; however, at the same time, feelings of anxiety, frustration, and a bit of fear creep in when trying to make sense of all that has been introduced to them. What do they do with all this newly acquired information and energy once the conference is over?
This toolkit is designed to support individuals and/or teams in organizing and making sense of everything learned at a conference--from keynote speakers, session presenters, other educators, and vendors--and provides a means for taking actionable steps.
Pre-conference goal setting & planning
1. Start with a clear purpose and outcomes
- Use the Pre-Conference Goal Setting and Outcomes Planning Template to focus your thinking.
2. Learn how to navigate this year’s virtual conference platform
- Attend one of the two First Timers’ Orientations.
During the conference
3. Capture your thinking during sessions
- Use the Session Note Catcher
4. Collaborate and learn from others
- Visit the Networking Lounges to meet educators in a variety of roles, grappling with similar topics.
5. Share ideas
- Schedule a time to meet and plan with your team before you lose those great ideas!
- Invite others to connect and share your thinking.
- Share using a Conference Debrief Protocol (can be done daily or at the end of the conference).
- How do we turn new learning into an actionable plan? (see template page 2)
Post-conference action planning
7. Continue to learn and review from session archives
- Create a schedule to continue your conference learning.
- Review session archives (accessible through March 2022).
8. Commit to action from conference learning
9. Measure impact
10. Make a strategic implementation plan
- Comprehensive Strategic Goals into Actionable Initiatives
- For a helpful video on how to use this tool, click here.
Continuing education units
Saint Mary’s College of California offers you the opportunity to earn affordable Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for attending Learning Forward’s 2021 Annual Conference.
Ten hours of instruction equals one CEU. The cost for up to one CEU is $100. CEU form coming soon. For more information, please contact Laurie Aguirre at KSOE@stmarys-ca.edu.